Venue & Duration
A garden was first made on this site in 1865 by T H Potts, New Zealand's first botanist. Potts planted a great variety of exotic trees and shrubs, many of which still stand on the perimeter of the garden. He died in 1888 and thereafter the garden fell into dis-repair until it consisted of little more than a lawn around the house.
Sir Miles Warren and Mr. and Mrs. Trengrove restored the house and began the present garden in 1977. Designed by two architects and an artist, the garden inevitably has a strong frame. The formal garden consists of a number of separate garden rooms of differing style and character arranged about two axis, one running east west and another north south.
In 2008 the garden was enlarged by the purchase of 0.75 hectares of land with splendid views overlooking the harbour. Stone edged paths now lead to an Amphitheatre and the steeper slopes have been planted. In recent times a number of large modern sculptures by renowned New Zealand artists have been installed in both the park & garden.
The house & garden were severely damaged by the 2010 earthquakes. The stone walls of the three storey block were badly cracked and the four gables fell.
The house has been rebuilt and earthquake strengthened but now the central is two storied not three with a strengthened masonry ground floor and a new timber framed first floor. All the stone constructions in the garden, walls, towers and follies have also been restored.
In the grounds there are two galleries displaying a collection of New Zealand artwork and an exhibition of Warren and Mahoney architecture.
You will enjoy morning tea in this beautiful historic home.